Times of Celebration


Dear Friends,

There is much about praising God and celebrating in the Bible.  I believe he wants us to be a people who celebrate and rejoice.  Psalm 145 is a great Psalm about celebrating and praising God, v7 reads They celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness.” (NIV)

The month of June in our home is a great month for celebrating.  As I thought about writing this I considered all of the celebrations that happen for my family in June, and how it’s not just about enjoying the celebrations, but recognising that God has provided us with the reason to celebrate and therefore he is worthy of my praise and thanksgiving for all he has given me.

Last weekend (16th) was Father’s Day – it was a day for my family to celebrate Jason as the father of our children.  God has created him to be a role model for our children, to show them what it means to be a man of God.  He is an example for Josh to copy and shows Jess the kind of man she should look for when the time comes for her to consider boyfriends (which I know will come all too soon) and the kind of man she should marry.  I praise and thank God that Jason is a good Dad.

Tuesday 18th was Jess’ 12th birthday – I believe that children are a gift from God and her birthday is an opportunity to celebrate this truth. Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him.”  Psalm 127:3. She is growing into a beautiful young lady.  I know God has good plans and a purpose for her (just as he does for Josh).  I celebrate that he has helped me to be her mum for the past 12 years and he will continue to do so.  I’m so thankful to know that God is with her, and that he loves her.  I look forward to watching as her life unfolds.

Monday 24th will be our 18th Anniversary – how time flies!  An anniversary is an opportunity to celebrate that God has been with us throughout our marriage so far and he has blessed us so much.  Of course, there have been ups and downs over the years but God has kept us as we’ve made him a priority in our own lives and in our marriage.  Jason is a wonderful husband, who has had to cope with a lot.  For most of our marriage he has had to live with my long term illness, and I know that’s not been easy for him, but he has certainly demonstrated his vow “To love me in sickness...”  Jason and I complement each other and I love partnering with him.  I’m so thankful to God for bringing him into my life.

On the 30th it will be Jason’s birthday (a special one I might add, but you won’t get out of me which one!) –the four of us are looking forward to celebrating his 40th (oops!!) in Paris, although I can’t say I’m looking forward to leaving home on Saturday 29th at 4am!  I praise and thank God for the man Jason is, I’ve had my prayers answered as I’ve seen him grow and mature spiritually.  I’m so proud of him as I see him live out God’s great plan and purpose for him, and I’m sure God’s got even more in store for him.

These are just some of the times when celebrating and rejoices comes easily, but there are also times when it’s not so easy to rejoice.  We all go through those difficult times, although each one is unique to the individual facing them.  There are times for me when I have to choose to praise God and choose to be joyful, when it’s a matter of the will, not about the way that I’m feeling.  I find the verse in Philippians that Paul wrote while he was in prison, helpful: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” Philippians 4:4. You see, it’s not about rejoicing in our circumstances but it’s all about rejoicing in the Lord – in who he is and what he means to us.  We can do this with the aid of the Holy Spirit who gives us his joy.

To Think About:
What is there today that you can give thanks and praise to God for?

Plan to enjoy a celebration with friends and/or family.  There doesn’t even need to be a specific reason it could be just to enjoy each others’ company.

Are you finding it hard right now to be joyful?  Why not take it to the Lord and ask him for help. 

You may not be able to rejoice right now but hold onto the promise that there will come a time when you can, “weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.” Psalm 30:5 (NIV)
 
Vicki

Comments

  1. Really great post. I love reading these! No I am not Biased! It blessed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Uncle Barry. Although I still think you're a little biased!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?