Things I've Learnt From My Mother

Dear Friends,

Mother's Day will soon be upon us so I want to concentrate on Mothers in this post.  Mothers have such a significant role in the family and we should never underestimate the value and influence of mothers.  God knows how important the family is and he may perhaps have placed another woman in your life to be a "mother" to you, such as an older sister, an aunt, a grandmother, or someone in your church.

My Mum will never be famous, she will never have her name in a "Who's Who" book, although, more significantly, her name is in God's Book of Life, just as all those who have accepted Christ as their Saviour are named in his book. "They worked along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are written in the Book of Life." Philippians 4:3 (NLT).  The world may never believe she has contributed anything of significance, but I know there will come the day when God will recognise her for what she has done and will say to her "Well done, my good and faithful servant." Matthew 25:23 (NLT) and she will leave a lasting legacy behind her.

I want to share with you some of the things I've learned from my Mum, principles that can be put into practice in every area of life, not just in my role as a Mum myself.

1. Her relationship with God.  My Mum taught both my sister and me what it means to have a real relationship with God.  She showed us how to put God first in everything.  She taught us not just through the things she said but also by her example.  It was because of my Mum that I learnt how to pray and have a quiet time with God, she taught me how to have a meaningful relationship with him in every part of my life, not just for a Sunday morning, and how to be a follower of God.  "But we know that there is only one God, the Father, who created everything, and we live for him. And there is only one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom God made everything and through whom we have been given life." 1 Corinthians 8:6 (NLT)  My relationship with God is the most important relationship I will ever have.  As I make my relationship with him a priority I too can be an example to others of what it means to know and love Christ and what it means to live for him.

2. She made herself available.  Growing up I never knew a time when she wasn't there for either my sister or myself.  She never gave us the impression that she was too busy for us. She was a great listener.  We had her attention the moment we walked in at the end of a day at school.  We would sit together over a drink and a biscuit and while we talked about the things on our hearts, she listened.  She always made time for us and she made it clear we were valuable to her.  We could talk to her about anything and everything, knowing that we were free to do so without being judged or criticised or made to feel small or unimportant. Even now, married and with children of my own, she's at the end of the phone if I need to talk to her and barely a day goes by when we don't chat on the phone.  We need to have that kind of listening ear when we are with others and to make ourselves available to them when it's needed.  Many people just need someone to talk to, someone who will take the time to listen to them.   As we make ourselves available for others they will get a sense of their own worth and value in God's eyes.

3. She demonstrated a servant attitude.  Part of God's call on her life was for her to be a mum and she did this wholeheartedly.  As she served her family she was also being a servant of God.  In Colossians 3:23-24 we are told "Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ." (NLT) Whatever she did, she did it to the glory of God. I truly believe that my sister and I would not be who we are today without the influence she had (and has) on us.  I never knew her to be selfish in her attitudes or actions.  She demonstrated the truth of Philippians 2:4 "Each of you should look not only to your own interests but also to the interests of others." (NIV).  I still remember clearly the hours she spent with me helping me to revise so that I could get a good grade in my GCSE exams.  I know too well that she didn't do it for the fun of it, she did it because she loved me and wanted me to reach my potential.  I remember as a young mum myself, unable to take care of my own children because of poor health, how she would give up her days to not just be a gran, but be like a second mum to them.  This was not a short term thing for her, this went on for years.  And there are many more examples I could tell you about her servant heart.  By her example she showed me the importance of relationships and that people matter far more than amassing wealth and possessions.  After all, Jesus taught us to "'love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ Matthew 22:37-39 (NLT)  In my relationship with others I too can show them I love them by demonstrating a servant attitude.

4. She ensured we had fun even in the tough times.  We were not a wealthy family and there were a few occasions as we grew up when we were short of money (although my sister and I never knew about it until much later).  I remember one time we were without electricity, but even in that difficult time my Mum stayed positive, kept her trust in God and made sure we had fun.  In the evening Mum would light our old fashioned oil lamp, and while my sister and I ate a snack of cheese, apples and sultanas Mum would read to us "The Old Faraway Tree" or a book similar to it. To my sister and I this was really special and we actually saw it as Mum giving us a treat,  we never saw it as having to go without something, because Mum never presented it as such.  That time is probably up there in the top ten of my favourite family times!  I have learnt from Mum to keep trusting God and to be satisfied in him and to see the difficulties as opportunities to grow my faith in him.

Today's post is dedicated to my Mum with grateful thanks for all she means to me and for being my good friend. 

To Think About:
What have you learnt from your mother or from one who was a "mother" to you?

Find some way to let her know how much you have appreciated the influence she has had on your life, e.g. send her a card telling her what you learnt from her and what she means to you, take her out to lunch, have a day out together.  If she is not around anymore, why not write out a prayer in your journal thanking God for her and for the ways she has been a blessing to you.

To any women readers: who may God want you to be a "mother" to?  Ask God to help you to be the mother he is calling you to be, whether it's to your own children, your grandchildren, a young woman at church, or someone else.

Vicki

Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?