Held in God's Hands

Dear Friends,

I want to share with you one of the ways that my Dad communicated his love for me when I was a young child.  Whenever we were out walking I used to like holding his hand and at some point along the walk my Dad would give my hand a gentle squeeze, it was his code for "I love you", then I would return the squeeze to say (again without words) "I love you too."

As a child holding her Daddy's hand, not only did I know I was loved, I knew I was safe and protected. If I was afraid of something, like walking past a big dog I would cling tightly to his hand until I felt the "danger" had passed, and I could relax my grip. When I tripped on a crooked pavement or slipped on an icy patch, my Daddy would keep me from falling.  He gave me security, I knew that anything that might want to hurt me would have to get past my Daddy first. There was no place better to be than in my Daddy's hands.

My Dad's love for me as his child reminds me of my heavenly Father's love for me as his child. The Psalmist says in Psalm 73:23 "Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand." (NLT)  and in Psalm 108:6 he says "Save us and help us with your right hand, that those you love may be delivered." (NIV) I love the image of being held by God.  As I picture this, I see a child holding their parent's hand and the closeness that there is between them, the connection they have and that they are walking in step with each other, the child is not lagging behind and the parent is not impatiently pulling the child along.  The parent matches his strides to the smaller steps of the child.  

God holding onto my hand gives me strength and support so that I am held up by him when I stumble.  There will be times when I'm tempted to do wrong but if I'm keeping close to God then he gives me the strength to resist and to stand firm, "Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." Psalm 37:24 (NLT)  and God says "I will steady him with my hand; with my powerful arm I will make him strong." Psalm 89:21 (NLT)

Wherever I go, God's hand guides me: "even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me." Psalm 139:10 (NLT)  It's good to know that he is leading and guiding me through life, it gives me confidence in the direction I take and I know I can trust him to take me where I need to go and I can trust him that we are going there together.

Holding God's hand provides me with protection: "Though I am surrounded by troubles, you will protect me from the anger of my enemies. You reach out your hand, and the power of your right hand saves me." Psalm 138:7 (NLT)  We are safe in God's hands, "I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely." Psalm 63:8 (NLT)  When troubles come, whatever shape they may take, I know that with God right by my side holding my hand I am protected and all I need to do is cling to him and he will keep a hold of me, nothing can loosen his hold.  It's such a precious thought to know that I can cling to him. 

Being held by God also means that I have nothing to be afraid of because he is bigger and stronger than any fear I may have, "Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." Isaiah 41:10 (NLT)  Rather than looking around at my circumstances, concentrating on my fears or worries, I can rest in the assurance that God is with me, holding me up, I can focus on him and not be overwhelmed by fear.

Dear child of God, there is no better place to be than in the place where we are holding on to our heavenly Father's hand and he is holding on to ours.  It is in this place that we can know with absolute surety that we are loved by him, that he is supporting us, strengthening us, enabling us to stand, protecting us, guiding us, helping us and that he is right beside us, that we are not alone but that we are walking step by step in time with him.

To Think About:
Do you know God as your Father? Whatever your experience of earthly fathers, God is the one perfect father we can ever know.  Ask him to help you to see him as such and begin today to develop a relationship with God as your Father.
 
What does it mean to you to know that God is holding your hand?

Spend some time reflecting on the verses I've mentioned.  What do you think God may be wanting to say to you?

Vicki

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?