T.E.A.M

Dear Friends,

I enjoy being on my own and doing things by myself.  I like to do things in my own way and my own time.  To be in control.  To have freedom of choice and the freedom to organise myself. That's why I enjoy blogging.  I am responsible for when I write, what I write and when I post it.  I don't need to check with anyone else. 

Although that is my preferred way of working, I also recognise the value of working with others - working in a team.  You may be familiar with the acronym T.E.A.M: Together Everyone Achieves More.  It may sound corny to you, but it is so true.

God never created us to be self-sufficient, to do things on our own, all the time.  He recognised right from the beginning that it was not good for Adam, the first human, to be on his own.  He needed someone like him for relationship and animals could not meet that need, that's why God created Eve.  They were to help one another, to fulfil God's purpose together.

I've learnt over the years that I can't do it all myself (much as I would like to!)  It can be easier to do it myself, after all I know the best way to do things and I don't tend to ague with myself!  But I do know I need others. 

I need Jason and our children to help out at home.  There are some things I know I could do better than the children, housework, for example, but when they help it means I have the energy, capacity and time to do something else, or it creates space for us to do something as a family.  It's also good preparation and training for them!

I need others with me as I serve God - once again I can't do it all myself.  I belong to a great home group, but a big part of what makes it great is I have a very good friend who is a huge support, helps practically and encourages me.  I haven't done it all on my own.  Neither would it have been the success it is if I had tried to do it on my own.  "Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. 10 If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble." Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (NLT)

Recently I put on a morning event for women.  I say "I" but it was actually a team of us.  We had an event co-ordinator who worked behind the scenes, Jason also helped a lot behind the scenes and I worked with another woman who also has a passion for women's ministry. It was the first time she and I had worked together, she was able to provide skills that I don't have and we found that we complemented each other.  The team were able to accomplish far more than I could have done by myself and we achieved a better standard.  Proving that together we really can achieve more.

Working in a team can be hard at times.  It certainly comes with challenges.  Working together teaches me to be more flexible, to let go of my control, to compromise, to take into consideration different opinions and ways of working, to delegate.  It helps me realise that I don't have the capacity to do everything myself and helps me understand what my strengths are and to work to those strengths, whilst recognising where my weaknesses are and where the strengths of the team are. The challenges are far outweighed by the benefits and blessings of being part of a team.

 "There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us. A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other... 11 It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have." 1 Corinthians 12:4-7, 11 (NLT)

What makes our team even greater is that we have God with us, he has given us the gift of his Holy Spirit.  He gives us the power to enable us to serve God, he gives us direction and a sense of purpose and he brings unity to our team.  We need to work together to keep this unity.  "Be eager and strive earnestly to guard and keep the harmony and oneness of [and produced by] the Spirit in the binding power of peace." Ephesians 4:3 (AMP)

God calls us to work together in unity, using the specific gifts he has given us, to accomplish his will for his glory.

To Think About:
Are you willing to work as part of a team? What strengths and gifts can you bring to a team?

What do you find challenging about working in a team?

For you, what are the benefits of working in a team?

Vicki

Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?