Individually Unique

Dear Friends,

My two children couldn't be more different from each other.  Their personalities, strengths, giftings, interests, etc. are so different.

Josh is outgoing, loud, academic and a born leader.  It's great watching him in his new season in life as he finishes at college and prepares to start in a new role as intern at Harbour Church, Folkestone.

Jess, at fifteen, is coming into her own now, still quiet but has a great sense of humour, guaranteed to make me laugh no matter how I may be feeling, and is so creative.

Both have their own growing faith in God and it's wonderful to have a part in helping them to develop as individuals.  They are both becoming the people that God has created them to be and it's a pleasure to watch this unfold.

Sometimes I'm amazed at how different they are - considering their upbringing and parentage is the same.  If you're a parent of more than one child, you probably feel the same.

Yet this doesn't take into account that they have been created by God - this is the miracle. 

"13 For You formed my innermost parts;
You knit me [together] in my mother’s womb.

14 I will give thanks and praise to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well.

15 My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was being formed in secret,
And intricately and skillfully formed [as if embroidered with many colors] in the depths of the earth.

16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were appointed for me,
When as yet there was not one of them [even taking shape]."  Psalm 139:13-16 (AMP)

When it comes to us, God never creates two people alike.  He lovingly makes each of us individually unique.  Who we are is carefully planned by God.  He has carefully and deliberately designed each one of us.  He did this before we were even born and he planted within us all that we would need to accomplish his plan for us.

"For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."  Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)

I don't want my children to be the same as each other.  I want to celebrate who they are as individuals, not try to make them conform to some kind of uniform pattern.  They are different and different is good.

As their parent, I take delight in watching them enjoy doing the things they have been made for.  Watching them step into all God has planned for them.  I enjoy seeing the joy they have doing what they have been created for.

You know what?  I believe God has that same joy when he looks at me and you as his children.  He doesn't want me to compare myself with another and try to be like them.  He's made me to be Vicki and there's only one of me, no-one else can be me.  He's created you to be you, there is only one of you, no-one else can be you.

I gain so much from doing what God has created me for.  It brings with it a sense of satisfaction and fulfilment and a whole lot of joy.  When I'm living life this way I believe God looks at me as his daughter with a smile on his face as he says with satisfaction "This is what I made you for."  The psalmist says in Psalm 104:31 "May the glory of the Lord continue forever!  The Lord takes pleasure in all he has made!"  (NLT)

Just as I enjoy watching my children grow and develop and look forward to seeing how this progresses, God enjoys watching us, his children, as we grow and develop and become the person he has created us to be.

God's delight in us affirms us and confirms that we are living for him.  His delight encourages us to keep living a life which is pleasing to him.  It encourages us to focus on him.  To keep seeking to bring him delight, rather than seeking a life of self-pleasure.  These are healthy motives for us to have.  

The psalmist says in Psalm 147:11 "but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love." (ESV)

 And in Zephaniah 3:17 we read "The Lord your God is with you. He is a hero who saves you. He happily rejoices over you, renews you with his love, and celebrates over you with shouts of joy." (GW)

To Think About:
If you don't yet know it ask God to reveal to you the delight and pleasure he takes in you.

How do you feel when you know you are doing what God has created you for?

Rather than trying to be like someone else, take joy in being you.  Learn to appreciate the way God has made you.

Vicki

Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?