Coming Home








Dear Friends,

Our family recently had a lovely summer holiday which was such a blessing to us. It was great to have a temporary place to stay. But I have to confess that, towards the end of our time away, I was really looking forward to going home. As Dorothy discovered in "The Wizard of Oz", there really is no place like home. Well, for me anyway.

I had been in touch with friends and family, via texts and phone calls, but it was not the same as being able to actually see them face to face. I was also missing our dog, Rue, who has so quickly become a part of our family.

I love being home. Home is a place where I feel comfortable and relaxed. I can be myself. Home is where I experience peace and security. A place where I am with loved ones, where I can love and be loved.

Towards the end of his time on earth, Jesus told his disciples that he would be leaving them, returning to heaven with the purpose of preparing a home for them and us.

Jesus said “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am." John 14:1-3 (NLT)

We see in these verses that there will be plenty of room for us all. God doesn't want anyone to miss out on this, but to receive our place in heaven we do need to first accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour.

In the Old Testament, men and women of faith also understood that earth was just a temporary dwelling place and that heaven was their real and lasting home.

All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it. They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth. 14 Obviously people who say such things are looking forward to a country they can call their own. 15 If they had longed for the country they came from, they could have gone back. 16 But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.  Hebrews 11:13-16 (NLT)

The writer to the Hebrews also says this:
For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come. Hebrews 13:14 (NLT)

Just as I always look forward to coming home at the end of a holiday, we can also look forward to our eternal home with Jesus.

How can our heavenly home be something we can look forward to when we've never even been there?

I believe the answer, in part, is found in Ephesians 3:17 where Paul writes: Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. (NLT)

Christ makes his home in us. or, as other translations say, dwells in us. The meaning of this word is that Christ is not a temporary visitor but a permanent resident in my heart and life. Heaven is in my heart. And the more I experience his indwelling, the more I come to know and love him. Then the attraction for the temporary things of this earth will grow less and less. I shall desire more and more to be in my heavenly home. This is why we look forward to it, even when we have not yet been there. When we get there it will truly be a feeling of coming home. And what a home it will be - with no more pain, or tears, or suffering, where there is fullness of joy. A place far beyond what we could even think, dream or imagine.

I believe there is this longing in our spirit that there is so much more to life than just this earthly one and having Jesus dwell in us gives us a foretaste of heaven. 

To Think About:
Have you ever invited Jesus to dwell in our heart - to make his home within you? If not, and you would like to, you can pray the prayer at the end of this post. If you decide to pray that prayer I would love to hear from you.

If Christ dwells in you, how "at home" have you made him? Has he got access to all areas or have you closed the door on some rooms? Will you allow him full access?

What difference has it made to your life having Christ dwell in you?

Vicki

If  what you read was of interest to you, then you may like to know that my book "Dear Friend...52 Weekly Devotions to Encourage, Challenge and Inspire" is available to buy from Amazon. (Its content is material adapted from previous blog posts.) To learn more, click on the link below:
"Dear Friend..."















Lord Jesus, 
I'm sorry for my sins. I confess them to you now. I thank you that you died on the cross and took the punishment for my sins. Would you please forgive me and bring me into a relationship with you. Be my Lord and Saviour as I submit my life to you and I invite you to take up residence in my heart. With grateful thanks, Amen.





Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?