Take A Leap Of Faith

Dear Friends,

During our holiday in Cyprus, Jason suggested we (and the kids) all went paragliding. Now, if you know anything about me, you'll know what my answer was. It was a no brainer. Nuh huh! No way! No how! Brave is not a word I would describe myself. I don't do heights; I don't do fairground attractions; I don't do water slides and I don't do water sports! I prefer to have my feet on terra firma! I was perfectly happy for the rest of the family to do it, whilst I sat on the side-lines watching.

However, with gentle persuasion by Jason, I agreed I would do it. Now where did that come from? I can't believe those words came out of my mouth! The heat must have addled my brain because I would never have agreed to it if I was in my right mind.

This holiday I've been reading John Ortberg's book "If you want to walk on water you've got to get out of the boat". It was as if God was prompting me to go paragliding. To take me out (way out) of my comfort zone and exercise trust. Without meaning to be flippant or irreverent, I believe God wanted to use this practical experience to teach me a spiritual lesson.

The morning we were to go paragliding I had the following verse on my phone: 

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7.

Could God be any clearer?

The five of us - Jason, me, Josh, Jess and Jordan were given a talk about the procedure by the professional. We were then given life jackets and harnesses were put on us. Two men who worked for him took us out in the boat. My heart was pounding! I was scared! I wanted to go first before I had too much time to think and chicken out of it. However, the kids were told to go first and they thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now for my turn! I didn't back out of it.  I did it scared. No one is more surprised than I am that I went through with it. (I have witnesses and a certificate to prove it!) To do it meant putting my faith in the men who were in control, who had the experience and the know-how and also to believe that the equipment would hold me. One condition I had was that I would do it only if Jason was with me. I needed the reassurance that came from knowing he was right there with me.

It was an incredible experience and one I would have missed out on if I'd chosen not to take that leap of faith. How I would have regretted it if I'd stayed in the boat. I could have experienced it through the eyes of those who had seized the opportunity but that would not have been the same as experiencing it for myself.  

So, what was God teaching me through this experience?

1. To step out of my comfort zone when he provides the opportunity. To take that leap of faith. To act even though my heart is pounding and I'm fearful of what may happen. And don't let fear stop me. Just do it, even if it means doing it scared.

But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. Psalm 56:3 (NLT)

2. God is right there with me, just as Jason was. As much as I gained confidence knowing Jason was beside me, how much more confidence and encouragement is there when the Almighty God is right beside me. His presence with me means I never need to face anything on my own.

For God has said, "I will never fail you. I will never abandon you." Hebrews 13:5 (NLT)

3. To put my trust and faith in God. I can safely put my trust in him because he knows what he's doing. He's the one in control; he's the one with the power and experience; he's the one with the know-how. He's got a hold of me. Taking a leap of faith is not about the amount of faith I have, rather it has everything to do with the one in whom I'm placing my faith. My faith may be small, but placing it in a great God means great things can be achieved. 

4. God produces the results when I make myself available. When it came to paragliding, the men on the boat did all the hard work, the result was their responsibility. All I had to do was be obedient to their instructions. When I'm obedient to God he's responsible for the results.

I can do all things [which He has called me to do] through Him who strengthens and empowers me [to fulfil His purpose—I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency; I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace.] Philippians 4:13 (AMP)

5. It's not always easy to take a leap of faith. It's not always comfortable. But is it worth it? Oh yes!

But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence. Jeremiah 17:7 (NLT)

I believe God is preparing me to take a leap of faith with him. Perhaps you too have been sensing him calling you to move out of your comfort zone.

Will you, and will I, take up his challenge?

To Think About:

What is it you're fearful of? What may be at the root of that fear?

Do you believe God is calling you out of your comfort zone? Can you take that step (maybe for you it's a leap) of faith?

What would help you take that step?

Vicki 

If  what you read was of interest to you, then you may like to know that my book "Dear Friend...52 Weekly Devotions to Encourage, Challenge and Inspire" is available to buy from Amazon. (Its content is material adapted from previous blog posts.) To learn more, click on the link below:

Dear Friend...













https://www.faithfulbloggers.com/



Comments

Popular posts

Do You Know You Are God's Prized Possession?

You Are The Apple of God's Eye

You are God's Favourite

The Apprentice Prayer

The Blessing Of Pain

The Teacup Story

"God Is Taking Everything Away From Me"

Mary and Elizabeth's Friendship

Set Your Sights on the Realities of Heaven

Do You Know That God has Tattoos?